This chart provides a detailed timing structure for all standard game steps and a number of frequently used card abilities. Use this information to determine the proper sequence of card abilities and game steps.
Text in black indicates game steps and text in RED lists common card effects and exactly when they happen.
Whenever two or more effects occur at the same time step on this chart, the order that those effects resolve in is determined by the active player.
Note: Effects that use the term “each time” occur at the same timing point as effects that use the term “after.”
- » START OF TURN EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- Check to see if you are able to forge a key.
- If able, spend Æmber equal to the current forging cost and forge a key. If you forge your 3rd key, you immediately win the game.
- » AFTER A KEY IS FORGED EFFECTS TRIGGER
- 1. Choose which house will be the active house for this turn.
- » AFTER YOU CHOOSE A HOUSE EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- 2. You may take all the cards from your archives and put them in your hand.
You may perform these actions in any order and repeat them any number of times.
- If your card is a creature, artifact or upgrade, put it into play. If your card is an action, reveal it (after you play it, discard it).
- Resolve the Æmber bonus on your card.
- » "PLAY:" EFFECTS AND "AFTER PLAY/ENTERS PLAY" EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- 1. Exhaust the attacking creature and choose the creature they are fighting.
- » "BEFORE FIGHT", HAZARDOUS X, AND ASSAULT X TRIGGER.
- 2. Creatures deal their damage to each other simultaneously.
- » "FIGHT:" EFFECTS, "AFTER A CREATURE FIGHTS" EFFECTS, AND "AFTER A CREATURE IS USED" EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- Exhaust the reaping creature.
- Gain 1 Æmber.
- » "REAP:" EFFECTS, "AFTER A CREATURE REAPS" EFFECTS, AND "AFTER A CREATURE IS USED" EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- Exhaust your creature or artifact with the Action: or Omni: ability.
- Resolve the effects of that ability.
- » "AFTER A CREATURE IS USED" EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- Ready each of your exhausted cards
- Draw cards until you have six or more in your hand (adjusting for chains or card effects).
- » END OF TURN EFFECTS TRIGGER.
The following steps occur each time damage is dealt to one or more creatures:
- Apply effects that prevent damage.
- Use ward to prevent damage.
- Use armor to prevent damage.
- Deal all remaining damage. Creatures with damage equal to or greater than their power on them are tagged for destruction.
The following steps occur each time one or more cards would be destroyed:
- 1. Cards are tagged for destruction.
- » “DESTROYED” EFFECTS TRIGGER.
- 2. Each destroyed card is put into its owner’s discard pile. (The battleline immediately shifts to fill in each destroyed creature’s place.)
- » “AFTER A CREATURE IS DESTROYED” EFFECTS TRIGGER.